It was a night of class and great honour for the sports man and women when the Sports Division in the Ministry of Youth, Sports, Culture and Constituency Empowerment hosted the 9th Annual National Sports Awards at the Fort Young Hotel on Wednesday May 6, 2015.
The function was held under the patronage of His Excellency the President of Dominica, Mr. Charles A. Savarin & Mrs. Savarin. Also in attendance was Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit, Hon. Justina Charles – Minister responsible for Sports and other members of Parliament, state officials, members of sporting fraternity and other invited guests.
The event’s theme was “Strengthening Society through Sporting Achievements” and Sports Coordinator, Trevor Shillingford congratulated those who were nominated and said the evening was about rewarding them in a tangible way. He reminded guests of the various achievements which were realized in 2014 including:
* Dominica winning the Windward Islands Cricket Senior Tournament
* Dominica winning two (2) gold medals at the Carifta Games in Martinique Shanee Angol – Javelin and Chelsea Linton – Heptathlon, setting new games records
* At the PANAM Festival in Mexico, there were gold medals for Yordanys Garcia in Men’s Triple Jump and David Registe in Men’s Long Jump
* At the Windward Islands Schools Games, Dominica took 2nd places in Boys Basketball, Girls Volleyball and Track and Field.
* There were 2nd places for Men and Women Senior teams in OECS Volleyball.
Mr. Shillingford, however, pointed out that the planning of the event usually exposed several issues, especially the administration challenges, existing within the various sporting bodies which operated in Dominica.